sábado, 26 de marzo de 2011

In a forgotten dirtroad

A couple of years ago, there was an earthquake in one of Peru's cities. Chincha. It was a major national tragedy. It happened while I was abroad. I watched on tv the shrieks of desperation from families trying to get their loved ones rescued, or at least have their bodies recovered. It was awful, yes, but as any other person exposed to the mass media, I thought to myself "This happens all the time. Around the globe, this happens and not every case gets a spotlight.". I told that to myself and I believed it. I was able to forget for a bit.

By the way, if you're expecting the funny parts of this entry you'll have to wait up. I have some serious words to give first. Now, exactly 18 hours ago I decided to embark into a missionary trip to Chincha city. Why? Because in every process of growing up and trying to cope with yourself and your mistakes, one must learn to see the world from another's eyes. It is the most simple and yet most difficult thing to do. In any case, I packed up my Barney the Dinosaur hand puppet, a minibible ( for the puppet ) and hit the road alongside my good friends Viewtiful Shaun, Renzo, PP, Percy and others. The 3 hour trip in the blazing sun of the coast was not a pain in the ass due to the sheer amount of planning we were focused on.

Oh did I mention we planned the show like, just 2 hours before doing it?
Yup. I just did.

In any case, I was to do a Christian Barney hand puppet read the bible for 120 kids. The Good Samaritan, namely. Now you might be wondering "What's the big deal?". Well, I'll start by saying that kids are not stupid. They know they get more props by acting stupid ( Hell, I used to do that ) and thus, they outsmart adults many many times.

Poor/Street kids, however, are on another league entirely.

Their cynism level rivals that of a fully grown adult, their skill in the arts of making you feel sorry and do shit for them is remarkably deadly. They also have the nasty tendency to make stuff dissapear whenever they :

a)Don't like you
b)Don't think you're funny enough
c)Like your shit
d)All of the above

Again, let me repeat. I was to perform a handpuppet Barney the Christian Dinosaur show for 120 of those kids.

120.

Needless to say, bricks were shat when I arrived there and saw the marabunta of little lovable rascals. I never get myself to feel annoyed with kids no matter how undeniably anooying they are. Maybe because I consider myself an overgrown kid. In any case, I smiled widely and greeted them as if they were my age, giving High-Fives to any kid that would not be busy trying to ransack me. Surprisingly enough, they seemed to like that and my backpack was safe for the entirety of the trip. Note to self : Kids will not bother you if you can earn their trust and respect. Mainly by not talking down to them. In any case, they were mostly covered in dirt and I suspect some of that wasn't exactly 'dirt' dirt. But to be honest I didn't care. Children are always a weakspot to me. Again, my inner child runs free in my psyche.
Hence, I only noticed that my hand was dirty when I was already behind the curtain and trying to get the hand puppet on. I decided I could care less, and wiped it on my Hurley shirt. Because I'd rather ruin a half-decent shirt than start having prejudices against little kids and their physical condition.

Alas, the show had started. I went into full-on Barney mode, trying to copy, emulate and reproduce all of the purple dinosaur's mannerisms...with my hand. And well, my voice helped. I knew that kids wouldn't buy some half assed 'Dude behind the curtain reads the bible' shit, so I dropped in some 4th wall breaking jokes, tv references, some fart jokes ( kids dig that ) and added a bit of my over-the-top personality to the hand puppet in order to make it look more alive.

It worked.

My pals helped me along with the play by enacting the scenes Barney narrated, and the kids liked it. I enjoyed myself even though I was practically boiling behind that curtain ( Again, Chincha is VERY HOT these days ) but it was worth every sweat drop. As a finale, Barney decided to go 'downstairs to go back to his car and drive to his home'. A little bit of 'getting fat these days' joking and voila. Show was over. It lasted at least 20 minutes of improvising. Again, we succeeded in this and with one of the toughest crowds to please. Not to mention the ages ranged from 6 to 13. And both you and I KNOW what that combination can do.

After the show, I was asked to give some sort of peppy speech to the kids. I decided to go Anime Shounen Hero at them and talked about how no matter the suck-level of situations, one can always get past it with willpower, faith and patience. Now, telling cyinical, impulsive and street savvy kids about patience, faith and willpower is not an easy task, mind you. So at first they looked at me with a clear 'Get back to the hand puppet shit' face.

Until I started talking about superheroes.

Boy, it was amazing to see just how easy it was for me to relate to them and their chain of thoughts. I discovered right there that I had been arrogant in my intention. I had gone there to try and teach the kids about Christianity. But these poor, dirty and nearly illiterate kids were teaching me so much about the world that I had ignored and forgotten for so long. I remembered what it was like to make a friend without looking at what he was wearing. I had forgotten how nice it was to play in a forgotten dirtroad without caring about the filth in your clothes. I let my 18-year old self share with these kids a passion for fun and games that I confess, I often repressed. I remember how it is not okay to forget to be a kid. I remembered how I am supposed to do random and childish things once in a while.

I remembered what it was like to be blissfully happy, without a care in the world.

Just lying on the dirty pavement, exhausted from playing. Exhausted and happy.

I remembered what is was like to love someone without even knowing that person entirely.

And a bunch of street kids taught me that in the four hours of the event.

It was both a well-deserved slap to my pride and a wise lesson to learn. These kids lived basically in huts. Flies would often invade the place. They didn't know what the internet was. They didn't know they were supposed to one day, make a choice about a carrier or job. They weren't AWARE of the fact that day by day, adults fuck up the world that is supposed to be their inheritance. And they're happier than I'll ever be. Their smiles are more radiant and true than mine in my best hour. I can never hope to smile like that.

But I also learned that nevertheless, I have to smile.

Always smile.

I love you, kids. Thanks for teaching me how much of an immature prick I can be.

I'm definitely coming back there. When I do, I'll enjoy time with those kids again. Without caring if I ruin another shirt, or if they just put up with me to get free gifts. I seriously don't care. I'm sure they don't. Whenever I am called to go there, I will. Because I already owe them a lot.

Because they brought my spirits up. And reminded me that some things are worth waiting for.

So this entry is dedicated to the kids in Chincha, and every kid that is able to see a world of fantasy and wonder amidst this hellhole we call 'tragedy'.

We'll need that kind of people someday. I'm sure we will.

Night peeps.

2 comentarios:

Azul dijo...

"Because I'd rather ruin a half-decent shirt than start having prejudices against little kids and their physical condition."
Eso no tiene sentido, pudiste haber lavado tu mano sin malograr tu polo y aún así no tener prejuicios e.e
También: Ignorance is bliss, por eso son tan felices y nosotros ya no podremos serlo, pero a cambio conseguimos conocimiento, compasión y entendimiento.
Anyway, kudos to you, good sir. Hope to see you soon.

PD: habla de mí, mierda.

Unknown dijo...

i'm really glad to hear this from you dude. i actually find funny how kiddos taught you what i was tryin' to tell ya a few times (i'm maybe not the best person to teach you things? i'm glad bro); anyway, these kinda experiences make us grow like a lot, i remember when i had to do handpuppets too at Trujillo, it's good to listen to children's laughs, and it is also gratificating to know that, even if they maybe don't understand it at first, words remain on their minds.

and by the way, acting or simulating being an adult sucks, let your child self flow, nobody has to repress anything, that just creates injuries. i love being a child, thinking like one... what am I saying? I am a child! and that is what you are as well, that is who you are. accepting responsibilities and knowing where to act serious and where funny doesn't mean you have to kill your true self.

excellent dude!!